- Are the colours changeable (now or in the future)?
- Yes, all of the colours are adjustable at the start of the project, when we customise a collection design for your identity, personal style, and content. Changing the colours in the future is straight forward but will need to be done by us.
- Are your websites mobile friendly?
- Yes, your site will be ‘responsive’, meaning it’s optimised for the smaller screen sizes of tablets and mobile devices
- Are websites formatted for SEO?
- Yes, I build the sites with SEO best practices, such as semantic HTML markup, keyword targeted titles and structured URLs, built to be shared on social, authorship meta tags, all that jazz.
- Can you do custom domain names (I’m assuming I’d need to buy the domain name myself)
- Yes, we can register any available domain you wish.
- We offer a Website Essentials package, which is renewed annually, that includes:
- Domain name registration/renewal
- Website and email hosting
- Automated backup and security
- Can the site accommodate video?
- Yes, we can embed video from popular sites like YouTube and Vimeo. Video can also be uploaded directly to your site, via Wordpress, and comes with an easy-to-use video player with controls.
- Can the site take all social media widgets (including Good Reads)?
Yes, we can embed Goodreads widgets, like their book reviews widgets. Same goes for any other social network, such as Twitter timeline feeds, etc..
- Where are websites hosted (I’m assuming it’s WP)?
We use WordPress to build your site. You’ll have a login account to manage content, blog posts, comments, and books yourself.
My website hosting upstream is based in California, though the servers are in Chicago. They’re the leading green energy provider in the states.
- What is the process for updating the layouts in the future?
- For example, if I wanted to add another book to the book page after the launch of the first page. Can updates and edits be carried out by me, or would you need to do that?
- If you’re the one to do the updates, what is the average cost for updates?
If you wanted to change the design (structure, styling, or functionality) of a template, we would estimate time based on your requirements, but typically, adjustments to layouts are $88/hour.
As mentioned in the previous answer, you can manage all of the content yourself, so there’s no cost to ’update’ that in the future.
- Do all templates include email sign up and contact?
Yes, your site will include a contact form if you’d like one.
If you mean email list signup/subscription connected to a 3rd party services for sending newsletters, that would be an additional cost, on top of the $495/layout.
I recommend Mailchimp for your email list. We can set it up and integrate it with your site.
Read more about using an email list to market your books in my article, Why email is the #1 promotional tool for authors
- After I get in touch, how does the project typically work?
Communication and planning - We discuss the project brief, content and design. 50% of the project is due on approval of a quote.
Design mockups - I produce mockups of the design you’ve selected, combined with your content, as well as anything you’d like to add. If you choose to go for a custom design, I’ll produce a custom mockup.
Design Review - You review the designs, and I make amendments. 50% balance of the project is due on approval of the design.
Construction - Once you’ve approved the mockups, I’ll construct the designs as a self-hosted WordPress site, and set up all pages. At this stage I can also migrate content from an existing site (e.g. Wix, Weebly, or Wordpress.com blog), at no extra cost.
Construction Review - You review the constructed design and content, and I make amendments based on your review. The Website Essentials package (hosting subscription) is purchased on approval of the construction, if you choose hosting with me.
Deployment - Once you’ve approved the construction we make the site live!
- Got a question not covered here?
- Contact Jin here 😀
Another name for a layout is a template. I create a template for each of the unique pages of the site. For example, I’ll create a single template that controls the structure and styling of a single book page. You cannot edit the structure or styling of the layout/template.
But you can duplicate any number of pages from a single template. For example, you could add another books yourself and the design stays consistent.